Monday, June 11, 2007

Pankegg!



You gotta love the Internet.

It has horrified me, entertained me, and sometimes...inspired me.

This is one of those times. After watching a particularly good episode of my favorite (now ended) video blog The Show With ZeFrank, I knew my life would never be satisfying until I followed the instructions he gave me (watch til the end):

"Put a little oil in the pan, but make sure you add some butter. That's where the flavor is. Coat it, and then pour yourself a nice, big pancake. Now watch it. See those tiny little holes? Those are bonding holes, and they have a purpose. As soon as you see enough bonding holes, pick the pancake up and crack an egg under it..."

This mad scientist creation is called a Pankegg, and it is delicious. Over the weekend, my ladyfriend and I spent some time in the kitchen, putting Ze's recipe into action. Here are the results:



Cooking the Pankeggs was harder than I thought it'd be, mainly because juggling a half-cooked pancake on a spatula while you crack open an egg is no easy task. Attaining the "oozy, oozy middle" referred to by Ze also took some trial-and-error; twice I cooked the egg too much and was left with a yummy--but dry--Frankenstein's monster. The third time, however...



Success!

The mix of flavors and textures works really well. The cooked egg white combines with the pancake to make something exquisitely fluffy, and the runny yolk fills the role normally occupied by syrup.

While experimenting, I (at my ladyfriend's behest) also made an "egg in the basket," an egg-and-toast combination:



It may look like--and probably is--something served at some roadside greasy spoon, but again, the results make for one hell of a breakfast treat.

How do I top this? Maybe I'll combine sausage and pancakes! Naw, that'd just be crazy.

EDIT: There's been a request for egg-in-the-basket instructions as well, and since it is a valid alternative to the Pankegg, here they are: take a piece of bread. Butter it. Cut a circle into the center of the bread; eat the circular scrap that results. Put the bread buttered-side-down in a skillet, crack an egg into the hole, and break the yolk. Allow one side to cook, flip the bread, and lightly cook the other (to insure the whole egg white has been cooked). Enjoy with Pankeggs, Sausage-and-Pancakes-onna-Stick, and...God, I don't know, Raisin Bran with OJ instead of milk for a complete Mad Scientist breakfast.

7 comments:

Caley said...

I'm a big fan of the eggie-in-a-basket. When you are running late for work, it's a great on-the-go breakfast.

Anonymous said...

I have never seen anything like the pankegg! It sounds like something a drunk person would make. I will have to attempt this.

Muffin said...

..This is freaking awesome. I'm SO going to have to try this now. Thank you for the inspiration!

Sarah said...

And how does one make this egg in a basket? Hmmm?

Caley said...

Cut a hole out of the center of a buttered piece of bread (you can use a glass for a perfect circle). Crack the egg into the hole in the toast when in the skillet. Flip after a bit! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

You can do what the cooking show hosts do and crack the egg into a small bowl beforehand. On the other hand, cracking an egg open one-handed does make you cool.

Anonymous said...

...eat the circular scrap that results.

i like to cook that circle of bread in a bit of butter... makes a good test-indicator to check on how well the big piece of bread is cooking without having to check and upset some still-cooking/bonding egg.