Thursday, June 28, 2007

I'd like seven more please...

Ok, so I'm a hypocrite. I apologize to Japan, and then I continue on with my global cuisine eating ways. But, I just can't help it. And worry not, this time I'm not stealing all the "fish in the sea," if you will, maybe just some lingonberries.

Yes, the dish that I've come to profess my love for today is....(drumroll please)


SWEDISH PANCAKES!

Ah....yes, I had them for dinner last night at Walker Bros. Original Pancake House, and I was in heaven. Sorry America, Swedish pancakes "take the cake" in the pancake contest. I like them better because they have a light, yet crispy crepe-like texture, and they're served with a perfectly complementary (no, not complimentary) lingonberry jelly.

Here is my step-by-step process to enjoying Swedish pancakes:
1. I cut the pancake into sections
2. Spread a light to medium helping of the lingonberry jam along with freshly whipped butter (that Walker Brothers serves it with) - careful, you don't want to douse the pancake too much.
3. Roll it up, and indulge!

If anyone can tell me if this is how the pancakes are actually served in Sweden, I would love to know! I've never been.

-Hillary, waiting for someone to give her a recipe for Swedish pancakes (hint hint)
Editor, Recipe4Living

5 comments:

Jim said...

Oh man, I would totally NOM NOM NOM that thing. I would NOM NOM NOM it five times.

LibNorth said...

This is from memory, if I find the recipe and it's different, I'll let you know. My family background is fully Swedish on both sides and this is the recipe we have passed down in the family. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

2 eggs
2 cups milk
1 cup flour
1 tbsp butter
1-2 tbsp sugar
dash of salt

Blend all ingredients. Heat good nonstick skillet to medium-high temp. Add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of batter to pan, depending on pan size, and roll to cover pan evenly. Cook until one side is dry and bubbly. Carefully flip and cook other side until slightly browned.

It's also great to add fresh fruit, cinnamon and sugar, cottage cheese, etc. to the filling. MMMMMMMMM.

Hillary said...

Thank you Aaron! You just made my day! I definitely plan to try it out and I'll let you know how it goes :)

Anonymous said...

Where I come from in Sweden, the pancakes are usually served with whipped cream, not butter.. and of course the lingonberry jam :-)

Hillary said...

Wow, I don't even like whipped cream that much but that sounds like it works just as well if not better than the butter! Thanks for the tip Martin.