Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Say Hola To A Great Cabernet

Just got back from Cancun, where I was able to sample the local Mayan inspired cuisine. This was a new experience for me, and approached each new dish with a little trepidation. Imagine my surprise when I ordered the Pibil Pork and found it tasted just like barbequed pork, which has always been one of my favorite foods. My husband had the Pork with Tomatoes, which was a spicier version of Hungarian Goulash.

Since I was in Mexico, I thought I’d try a Mexican red wine to go with my newfound favorite cuisine. Casa Madero Cabernet Sauvignon has a black currant aroma with a full-bodied flavor that stands up to the sturdiest of foods. I did a little research when I got home and found that this wine is imported into the US, but is not available everywhere. Therefore, I found the next best thing; the Stone Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon by Beringer, and decided to try it with some of my favorite dishes.

Try this wonderful wine with this great Mexican dish Mexican Beef & Bean Stew

A simple stew with chunky salsa, made in the crockpot with ease

Ingredients

1 1/2 lb. beef for stew, cut into 1" pieces
2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 C. coarsely chopped onion
1 can (about 15 oz.) pinto beans, drained
1 can (about 16 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (10-3/4 oz.) beef consommé
1 C. chunky salsa
2 Tbs. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. garlic powder, or 2 cloves garlic, minced

Directions

Coat beef with flour. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Cook beef until browned, stirring often. Place beef, onion, beans, corn, consommé, salsa, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder in 3-1/2-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low 8 - 10 hr. or until beef is done.

Let me know what you think and if you have any wine and food pairings you'd like to try.

0 comments: