Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Meat Gets a Little Fruity

Like the perfect frittata, I find the concept of using fruit in the preparation of meat absolutely brilliant. And perhaps the reason for this might go back to my youth. My sister Ali and I (YES, Ali and Caley rhyme, enjoy it) played an absurd amount of soccer growing up, and thus burned through a staggering amount of calories each day. Sitting down to dinner meant an all-out annihilation of every edible item in sight, including epic battles between sisters over the last dinner roll. To this day I am often accused of eating as though it's going to run away. Over the course of our soccer years, Ali and I had little respect for the division between courses or between side items and main dishes and learned to mix all food together on our plate and in our hungry mouths.

I've certainly slowed down my eating as I've gotten older (I can't say the same for my sister) but will always be a bit nostalgic for that happy, albeit often exhausted time. Bread will still often be incorporated, even lost, in the flavors of the main dish. I will always mix my vegetables into my Macaroni 'n' Cheese. Actually, I suspect that peas are meant to go into Macaroni 'n' Cheese. Don't you agree? To get back to the point of this post though, mixing fruit and meat not only nostalgically reminds me the efficiency eating of my youth, it just plains tastes good. I have hardly ever come across a meat recipe calling for fruit in the preparation that I did not like.
Here are some suggestions for fruity meat:

Chicken
Being the most versatile of meats, chicken adapts well to a variety of fruits, including pears, berries, and even mango. For an elegant meal, serve your chicken with pears poached in red wine.
Chicken Breasts with Pears and Zinfandel
Chicken with Pears
Berry Patch Chicken with Spinach and Garlic Rice
Mango Chicken

Pork
When it comes to pork, my absolute favorite preparation will always be with apples.
Spiced Apple Pork Roast
Pork Loins with Cabbage, Apples and New Potatoes
Apple and Pork Stir Fry with Ginger
Braised Pork Medallion with Apples

Fish and Seafood
A fruit "salsa" is a common way to top off many kinds of fish.
Smoked Whitefish Salad With Avocado and Grapefruit
Grilled Mahi-Mahi with Berry Salsa
Grilled Trout with Apricot Salsa
Jerk Fish with Pineapple Salsa
Easy Citrus Salmon Steaks
Oysters with Tangerine Salsa

0 comments: