Friday, April 20, 2007

Signs Of Spring At The Grocery Store

Sundays are my day to go to the grocery store and I must admit it is one of my favorite things to do! For some reason, I get the same joy and excitement out of grocery shopping as I would actually shopping for clothes. Don't deny it, I know some of you out there are just like me!

So, last Sunday was a fantastic day of shopping for me because my favorite springtime fresh veggie was in the produce section: Sweet-Corn on the Cob! I will be eating one of these sweet and crunchy veggies at least twice a week now and I am so excited to try cooking, grilling and seasoning it all different ways!

Before I became an Editor for Recipe4Living, I never really thought of any other ways to flavor corn on the cob. My way of making it was just to throw a couple ears of corn in a pot with water and put the stove burner on high and leave them alone for 20 minutes. Sometimes if I felt like it, I would add a packet of Splenda in the boiling water so it would sweeten up the corn even more. After the 20 minutes were up, I would take the corn on the cob out and just coat with butter and salt. But now, after reading what some of our loyal readers sent in, I have realized that my corn on the cob is boring. So this weekend I am going to start using other recipes we have on the site, and the Italian-Style Grilled Corn on the Cob is perfect because on Saturday I am having a bunch of friends over for a BBQ!

Ingredients

4 ears fresh sweet corn, in husks
3 to 4 Tbs. olive oil or melted butter
1 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
1/4 C. grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper

Directions

Soak corn in cold water for 30 minutes; drain. Meanwhile combine oil, oregano, and parsley; set aside. Pull back husks on each ear of corn, leaving husks attached at base. Remove corn silk. Brush corn with seasoned oil. Fold husks back around corn; tie at top with string or strip of corn husk. Place corn in center of cooking grate. Grill 12 to 14 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Carefully remove husks. Sprinkle corn with cheese; season with salt and pepper to taste.

Here are some more wonderful recipes our loyal readers sent to us:
Best-Ever Corn on the Cob
Corn on the Cob with Cheese and Lime
Corn on the Cob with Garlic-Chives Butter
Fresh Roast Corn on the Cob
Barbecued Corn On The Cob
Fresh Roast Corn on the Cob
Honey Corn on the Cob

Have a great weekend and I hope all of you are as lucky as we are here with this amazing weather!

0 comments: