Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Diner-esque Noodles

I refuse to stop talking about noodles. That's right; I must express my love. But let me set some background at least. Awhile back, I was wandering around a new section of Greenwich Village after discovering that my building did not, in fact, house a hidden laundry room that I was simply having trouble finding. Without a proper laundry bag, I was unabashedly wandering around the city, totting my gigantic suitcase on wheels. On my way to the self-proclaimed "Chinese Laundry," (not really a requirement I would demand), I passed Grey Dog Coffee Shop (famous "Jesus-worthy" cookies), the Non-Imperialist Book Shop (extensive collection of Bob Dylan lit.), and the unassuming, almost plain-fronted Noodle Bar.

The inside of Noodle Bar is small with a wrap-around diner-style counter and a couple tables, which expand out to open doors when the weather is pleasant. While you munch away, you can watch the spectacle as chefs battle blue-flamed woks. Creative sections of the menu advertise small tapas-like plates (Kimchee Pancakes), cold noodles (Teriyaki Salmon Soba), wok noodles (Pad Thai), and broth noodles (Tom Yum Bouillabaisse). You can order from an extensive variety of teas with your meal or have a juice box. Flavors include lychee, pineapple, and mango. Best of all, the food is very reasonable, $7-10 for a substantial dish.

Unpretentious yet creative, flavorful, and packed with fresh ingredients, Noodle Bar is basically an ideal restaurant for a single diner like me. I had the Bee Hong Goreng, rice vermicelli with egg, bean sprouts, snow peas, and more, alongside a slew of other diners popping in for a quick meal. Check it out:

Noodle Bar
26 Carmine St.
New York, NY 10014

Here are some of my favorite recipes for noodle-tastic, Asian-inspired meals:

Cold Sesame Noodles

Hot and Sour Shrimp Lo Mein

Mandarin Noodles with Sauteed Tenderloin and Vegetables

Pad Thai

0 comments: