Thursday, April 19, 2007

Chocolate Covered What Now!?

Oh America, we've had a hard week. With a full heart for those affected by the tragedy of Virginia Tech, I returned today to the purpose of this blog. But, I admit I sat at the computer for quite some time at a loss for what deliciousness to share with our readers this time. The proper answer, so perfectly comforting it's almost hard to believe, came from a wonderful coworker passing by my desk. The absolute perfect food for such a week is chocolate-covered potato chips.

Can you argue with these scrumptious babies from Neuchatel Chocolates? I think not. I had no idea they existed before today, but I assure you I will cherish them forever after. The chocolate is rich, imported Swiss chocolate, and not overly sweet. The potato chips are thick and salty, and the ridges were a logical choice (more surface area to cover with chocolate). The pairing of chocolate with salt has been rather trendy lately and these Swiss Chips demonstrate how well the combination actually works. Here are some great articles on the salty chocolate craze:

Salty Chocolate
Sui Mai Salty Chocolate
The Rise of the Salt Tooth

I did some exploring at Recipe4Living.com and found that one of our wonderful readers discovered the fun of salty chocolate in her own quirky recipe (with potato chips to boot). Enjoy and be comforted.

Potato Chip Brownies

This unlikely dessert ingredient adds a subtle salt element and a bit of fun crunch.

Ingredients

1 C. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 C. butter
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
2 eggs, well beaten
1 C. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 C. potato chips, crushed

Directions

Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Melt butter and chocolate. Beat eggs well and add sugar gradually, beating well. Add the chocolate mix and vanilla to eggs and blend. Add flour and mix well. Add potato chips. Bake in lightly greased 8-inch square pan in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. While warm, cut into squares.

Yield: 12 brownies

3 comments:

WAHM said...

I'm crazy about chocs but never tried mixing choc and potato chips! I don't know what it'll be like but worth a try one of these days!

Caley said...

Go for it dorischua! (And let me know what you think)
=)

Anonymous said...

I never eat popcorn without eating a chocolate candy bar with it. They just go together and one is not complete without the other.