Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Frittata=Genius

For me, a full breakfast is an indulgence saved for the weekend. During the week, I scarf down some cereal, yogurt, or the occasional apple with peanut butter with a large mug of black tea (Irish breakfast perhaps) in front of my computer. For all you know, I could be enjoying that style of breakfast right now. On the weekends though, I can really enjoy a special breakfast while gazing out at the tree-lined stream behind my apartment balcony (sure, this "breakfast" is too often prepared much closer to lunch time since I also indulge sleeping in).

My breakfast this past weekend was genius. Recently, I've started visiting a smaller "International" market almost exclusively catering to the Polish, Mexican, and Indian populations in the area. With produce I've never seen in any grocery store, kielbasa, and more entertaining items like chicken feet, I love it. Almost 75% of the cheese section is dominated by something called farmer's cheese, which is all together absent from mainstream grocery stores as far as I can tell. Farmer's cheese is basically cottage cheese, pressed until dry and crumbly, and rolled in herbs or other flavorings. The little market had its own homemade farmer's cheese, which I curiously purchased.

Ok, back to my genius breakfast. In my quest to make a healthier meal, I decided on a frittata (1 egg + 1 egg white) with lots and lots of spinach. My mom would be so proud. (Look ma' I'm eatin' my green stuff, for breakfast!) With a generous sprinkling of farmer's cheese (also quite low in fat) before baking, the frittata came out perfect. This breakfast was so simple, healthy, and delicious, I have to share the love. Now I just have to count down the days until Saturday morning breakfast.

Spinach Frittata

Ingredients

1 egg+1 egg white
1 C. of spinach
1 tsp. black pepper
1/4 C. farmer's cheese
1 tomato, plum or otherwise

Directions

Preheat oven to 350. Pour about 1/2 inch of water into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Fit a steamer basket in pan. Place the spinach in the steamer, cover, and steam until the spinach is wilted, about 1-2 minutes. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and pepper. Stir in the steamed spinach. Pour the mixture into a 6-in nonstick skillet. Top with spoonfuls of farmer's cheese. Bake at 350 for 12-15 or until set. Slide the frittata onto a plate with a rubber spatula and top with slices of fresh tomato.

0 comments: